Saturday, October 4, 2008

My Son

When my son was first born, he looked a little different from my other children because my other kids all had quite a protruding nose bridge. His was rather flat. I only held him for a few minutes before the doctor came in and told me that he had some characteristics of DS and I should think about testing him.

We later found out that he did, indeed, have the extra chromosome (though I've never actually seen the test or the testing doctor's comments). That first few weeks after the diagnosis while I wondered what it would mean to our family, I can remember holding my new son in my arms and looking into his eyes. Each time I held him, I feel more deeply in love with him. Though I didn't expect a diagnosis of DS, I found it really didn't matter to me because I loved my son so completely, I knew everything would work out somehow.

And it has. He is such a wonderful boy. He has such a funny and fun personality. He makes me laugh all the time. He's learning and growing. Our family wouldn't be the same without him and every day I am so grateful he's my son.

No comments: